Monday, March 10, 2008

Week 6: Thing 15

Perspectives on (School) Library 2.0: Of course I couldn't read just two or three articles. I had to read so many of them my head was spinning. The articles from the OCLC newsletter were great and started me thinking about realistic possibilities of 2.0 applications for my library. As I kept exploring, I came across the list of Wikipedia (*gasp!*) references. I really like Chris Harris, and I went through his blog entries from January '06. He has such excitement and vision. I think the thing to keep most in mind is that we may not be able to tackle it all at once, but it is most important to do the one or two things that you can handle and do them well. We have to focus on the library as a virtual destination, not just as a room that the teachers have to book time to use with their classes.

I am amazed that I am so rarely called upon to visit the computer labs in our school. I know the number of students doing "research" in class is pretty large and there are still teachers who tell students to "google indians and click on the first link" for example. I watch students in the library type in worldbook.com (regardless of my instructions) to get to the database instead of clicking on the link from the library page. And then they are frustrated because they can't find the place to log in. It's a long, slow climb for me, but I love the challenge and I am very interested in making the library site an interactive, one-stop resource for students, faculty and staff alike.

No comments: