Monday, March 10, 2008

Week 6: Thing 14

After playing around on Technorati, I am rather frustrated with a couple of things. First of all, the ads are annoying. Secondly, I don't like searching the tags because there are too many variables. Tags are handy for keeping track of your own favorites (in del.icio.us) or photographs (in flickr) or posts (in blogs), but who's to say other people will use the same tags? Tags are basically like subject headings with no governing body (LC or SEARS). This is liberating but also can make things a bit confusing. I know I spent quite a bit of time thinking about how I might go back to my faves and try to find a random link. I also went back and added tags to this blog a couple posts ago so that if I ever wanted to see which Web 2.0 applications I used or which "Thing" was covered in a given post, I could easily find them.
Searching blog content seems to work okay, but the bigger question is why do we need to search blogs. I imagine the need arises professionally for us and our colleagues, but maybe not for our students in a research situation. We teach validity and authority and directing students to search blogs might be confusing. Not all bloggers are experts in their "field." However, the curriculum connection idea about finding election blogs might work in a bias, politics, sociology class.

No comments: